Friday, March 14, 2008

Spirited Away / Sen To Chihiro No Kamikakushi

I'm a fickle minded person.

[read to the end, you must! Spirited awayyyyyy is TOO awesome for you to miss!]


Just yesterday, I typed out a review on Howl's moving castle, saying how spectacular it is in comparison to Mononoke Hime. But after watching Spirited away, I've come to a realisation that Mononoke Hime is just as good, since both films seem to hold some resemblance to each other; I'm not sure which aspect of it, they just have that..special element in them.

..or perhaps the special element would be that the guys in both films can turn into creatures, and the girls would fall in love with them, mustering their courage and doing anything they can to save him. In the end, both of them would go on their seperate ways, affirming their importance to each other and just move on. That is what makes the film so touching, agree? I'm not a diehard fan of romantic films (though i wouldn't really mind some), so i find these endings rather meaningful.



Spirited Away just blows everything away, really. I don't think there'll be any animated film as great as this, I don't really think so. Afterall, I've watched all the best films Studio Ghibli has: Tonari no Totoro, Laputa - Castle in the Sky, Mononoke Hime, Howl's moving castle, Kiki's delivery service, grave of the fireflies.. I suppose Nausicaa of the valley of the wind or tales from earthsea would be great too, but these two didn't "displace Titanic as Japan's #1 all-time film", did they? And no, my judgement haven't been affected by these rankings, I read the reviews AFTER i watched it okay.


There's so many praises i can sing for the two-hour long movie. (I think the contents would be similar to yesterday's review, since there's a few particular things i really look out for in an animated film) The attention for detail is even greater than that in Howl's moving castle though, I especially loved the way the water was drawn. Also, his perspectives are so different. When he wants to show the sun, he doesn't draw the sun. Instead, he draws the light reflected on the water. That's just one very simple example, my memory fails me at times.

It makes one wonder where he gets his brushes, everything is so fine, detailed and realistic. I HAD to click on the pause button for a minute or so to admire a beautiful porcelain vase, I could totally feel its texture. Maybe its a magical brush! hahaha.




However, the thing i love most...its got to be Chihiro/sen herself. Mygosh, if I were a guy and if she ever appears in real life..I would just fall in love with her, even if she's just 10 years old or something. Her hairstyle is way too cute, her eyes so bright and intelligent, even the simplest clothings look so perfect on her. Its the first time i've liked a character so much, with the exception of our dear sasuke, hitsugaya and akira of course. She reminds me of myself in the beginning, where she's this girl who's afraid of so many things. Hopefully I'll become like her (stop muttering under your breath okay! D: ) I admire her.

Haku (beautiful name) has pretty eyes too, the shape, the colour and the long eyelashes. His gentle voice and caring heart..Right, i better stop my fangirling right now, or it'll never stop.



I guess nothing needs to be said about the soundtrack, most of you would have heard of "itsudemo Nandemo" performed by Yumi Kimura, it bears such a sweet melody that stays in you for a long time. I have also taken a liking to "futatabi" from the Original Soundtrack, it just fits in so perfectly. Joe Hisaishi, you're a genius.


I won't be writing a review on the storyline itself, since that'll take a few more precious minutes away from your life (and perhaps 15 minutes away from mine), google shall do the job.



I can't seem to be able to get any screenshots, everything turns out to be black, so i'll have to stick with these not-so-nice pictures of haku and chihiro (i'd prefer this name to sen D:), since i'm lazy to source for more




Chihiro. is. so. cute!!!




Haku! will you just look at his eyes!


Eat up, chihiro ^_^


goodbye, haku.


chihiro and haku the dragon!


Hayao Miyazaki loves sootballs, doesn't he?
I don't mind, they're cute and adorable little things! :D





Everyone, watch Spirited away. I suppose many of you have...but to those who are not in favour of japanese films, I'm certain this movie would be your first step into the..magical world of the japanese culture. I better stop before I get carried away.



wait, here's my list of favourite Studio ghibli movie (pronounced as jee blee) in order:

1) SPIRITED AWAY
2) MONONOKE HIME
3)
TONARI NO TOTORO
4) HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE
5)
LAPUTA - CASTLE IN THE SKY
6) KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE
7) GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES

got a hard time doing the rankings, i love them all
i'll continue watching them another day.



Tracy, i'll do your MEME tomorrow!

No comments: